Thursday, January 17, 2008

Let it Snow!

This morning I woke up with Eric telling me it had snowed! Finally it feels like winter down here. This is my first Southern snow experience and watching the news this morning was pretty entertaining. While some areas in the foothills/mountains received up to 4 inches, we had about half an inch to an inch on the ground in our area. There were extended news/weather/traffic reports this morning and an endless list of school closings scrolling across the screen.

Growing up in Michigan, we would need at least a foot of snow to get a school closing (I only have 2 clear memories of snow days). Since every school in the area was in walking distance or a short car ride away, the Grosse Pointe School system did not use buses. The city was very good with salting the roads and clearing sidewalks too, so it wasn't hard to get to school after a snow storm.
Throughout elementary and middle school we walked to school and even if there was less than a half an inch of snow on the ground (and what was on the sidewalks had already melted) my dad would make us wear boots. It was such a hassle to have to wear boots, carry a pair of shoes and then change at school, especially when it was not entirely necessary. I remember many mornings when my sisters and I would try to talk ourselves out of having to wear them, but there was no talking him out of it. When we were younger, sometimes mom would help us sneak out, but once we got older it became easier just to zip out of the house without dad seeing what was on our feet.

To end my post today, I'll share a pic from Maddy's first Christmas:










1 comments:

Jenny said...

aww..your kitty is so cute! :)