Friday, April 18, 2008

Recurring Dreams

Do you have a recurring dream? Mine is that I'm back in high school. Three things usually happen in each dream: 1) I forget my locker combination and have to go to the office everyday to see what it is, 2) I'm always skipping a class (not intentionally, when the dream starts I'm a few months into the year and I have never been to the class), and 3) I forget to do an assignment or put it off to the very last minute.

On average, I would say I have this dream about once every month or every couple months. It's always the same scenario. The major theme in the dream is usually one of the 3 instances listed above. I had this dream again last night and it was a combination of #2 and #3. The class I was skipping last night was Math class and the assignment I was putting off was two essays for an English class. In the dream I was walking down the hall and my teacher passed by, Mrs. Kopec (she was actually my 6th grade homeroom/math/social studies teacher), and she asked how the essays were going. I said good because I didn't want to get in trouble, but in my mind I was stressing out because I had forgotten about them!

I don't know why I keep having this dream. It's been seven years since I've been in high school, so it's not like I'm stressed about a new year starting. I'm three years out of college and have no plans for grad school, so it's not like I'm stressing about that. So why am I having this dream? Why am I still, even subconsciously, thinking/worrying about these circumstances? Maybe I need to get more organized in my life? In each of the scenarios I'm forgetting something, whether it's a locker combination, a class or an assignment. Am I really stressing about what's going on in my life now and I'm worried that I'm going to forget something?

Maybe it's time that I get a remembrall. The only problem is, I can't remember what I've forgotten.

0 comments: