Friday, April 4, 2008

Confessions of a Boy Band fan

I admit, I am a boy band fan. My love for boy bands began when I was in first grade and discovered the New Kids on the Block. I had a New Kids pillowcase, some books, a watch, a towel, tapes and of course the trading cards. I had about 200 trading cards! I remember my mom would punish me when I was being a brat by taking away 5 cards at a time. Of course she knew that Joey McIntyre was my favorite and those were the first ones to go. Sad, I know, but I would cry when she took them away.

Then around 7th/8th grade came Hanson. I had the biggest crush on Taylor, the middle one/lead singer. I still love listening to MMMBop and even their new songs are good. I also thought it was cool that Taylor's birthday is on March 14, only 3 days before mine!

Shortly after Hanson, NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys arrived on scene. You were either a fan of one or the other and I was loyal to NSYNC. I remember watching the NSYNC's 100 favorite videos special on MTV with my sister and learning the choreography to their songs. I also had the Official NSYNC book. Actually, I had two copies: one I bought myself and the other was a gift. One day, I was bored so I cut out all of the pictures of Chris from one of the books and taped them all over my sister, Mary's room. She found this hilarious and the pictures were passed back and forth between rooms for about a week. (I know, we are pretty easily amused!)

Along the way I fell in love with the British boy bands too: 5ive and BBMak. I was able to see BBMak in concert at the Michigan State Fair in downtown Detroit one year. That was a pretty sweet concert. However, my favorite British boy band is 5ive. I own two of their videos: one is about the band and a collection of their music videos and the second is a concert from their second album. Mary and I frequently watched these as well. 5ive was supposed to open at one of the NSYNC concerts we went to, but unfortunately they did not show up.

Anyways, today it was announced that the New Kids on the Block are reuniting! There is a bunch of info on their site NKOTB.com and this fall they are going to go on tour! I remember in the first grade my teacher, Mrs. Hea, took her daughter to see them and all of us girls were so jealous (well, I was anyways). If they make their way to the Charlotte area, I may just have to buy a ticket and go!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved when we stuck those pictures of chris all over each others room!