Thursday, April 3, 2008

Crowned

I don't know about you, but one of the worst pains for me is a tooth pain. I hate feeling any pain in my teeth. Obviously, this mostly applies when I am actually at the dentist. Regular cleanings are fine, but I've had my share of fillings over the years. A few weeks ago I had my first visit with my new dentist down here and the hygienist looked in my mouth and said, "Well, you're no stranger to the dentist, eh?" No ma'am I'm not, but just because I've had multiple fillings does not mean I'm used to them. Anyways, I found out that day that one of my molars was fracturing and that I would need a crown. Ok, not the best thing I'd like to hear, but I've had one before. The previous crown was due to a root canal and, compared to the root canal experience, the crown was nothing. I went in for all of the drilling and stuff two weeks ago and everything went fine. Although apparently I was very expressive in my eyes; the hygienist said that I had a look of terror on my face. And, when the hygienist put in the temporary crown that day, she decided to floss around it too! This was not the smartest idea as the crown popped right off. This meant that I had to stay an extra 20 minutes so they could remove the old cement, put in the new one, let it sit and finish it up.

Today I went in for the permanent crown (it takes two weeks for it to be made). I get in the chair and the first question the hygienist asks is, "Do you want to be numbed?" Ummm, yes please!! She said that some people when they are getting the permanent one don't want to be numbed for it. Um, ok, I'd rather be numb in my gums all day than feel an ounce of paid during this procedure. I'm sure glad I got the shot too! After the dentist gave me the shot and took off the temporary crown, the hygienist came around and started to clean the old cement off. She started scraping and I could feel it a little bit but it wasn't terrible, then she blasts a burst of cold air on the tooth and I jerked my head away and let out a grunt of pain. She said, "Ok, well, let's just let that sit a bit and let the medicine take effect." Oh man, that one hurt, it felt like she got me right on the nerve. She left the room and I just prayed to God that I get through the rest of this visit without feeling a thing. Thank the Lord my prayers were answered! She came back about five minutes later and blew some air on the tooth and rinsed with some water and I did not feel anything! The rest of the appointment went well and I now have my new tooth.

I told Eric today that if this were twenty years ago, he'd have a wife with two gold teeth!

0 comments: