Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Trivia Tuesday....a day late :)

One thing I have wondered about for a while now is why the U.S. flag is backwards on military apparel. I figured there must be a good reason, but I just did not know what that reason was. On my way back to Charlotte on Sunday, I noticed that the flag was also backwards on the planes. Again, there must be a reason for this so I decided to do some digging when I got home...

Did you know that to wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart? When the flag is worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Therefore, if the patch is to be worn on the LEFT sleeve, use a normal flag (also called a left flag). When a patch is worn on the RIGHT sleeve, use a reversed field flag (also called a right flag).


On a plane, the left flag is used on the left side of the plane, as usual. One the right, the reversed field flag is used so that the flag looks as if it is blowing in the wind created by the forward movement.


0 comments: